Disclaimer - READ before comment: I'm making a stand, MY stand. I'm not trying to rub my (lack of) faith in anyone's face, nor forcing it anyone's throat; so do the same, please.
I was never a very religious person. I wasn't brought up like that (Thank you Mom!).
There were some religious influences in my childhood, it's true, but it wasn't enough. I first decided to cut out with religion when I studied the Inquisition at school. It shocked me. From that moment on I knew I couldn't believe something used and abused by the powerful to subdue the weak. Why should I?
Growing up, the anger simply died out. But I've been reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins and it's been refreshing. And it's this book and the information it provides (regard, the information, not the author's opinion!) that cause me to make this decision.
You can simply say you're not religious. You can simply "respect" and step aside and let it continue. It's true. You can give them reasonable doubt. But I can't. And here are my reasons:
1) First and foremost, as a human, I'm outraged by the disrespect for Human Rights it encourages. All the wars, all those deaths, all those people who suffer constantly, daily! due to their religion or others'. It encourage ignorance, it tells you that reason is blinding, it tells you that someone in the sky is watching you (Big Brother anyone?!) and that if you don't behave you'll be severely punished. For real, people? Not even as a child I believed in that. What happen to reason? To freedom of will? You know, those things that makes us different from the rest of the Animal Kingdom; that makes us rational beings, thinking beings, (supposedly) superior beings. Not to mention that the motto "All men are brothers" only apply to those a few people chose to admit as; plus, for a believer what he/she believes is the unquestionable truth, but what other people believe is gibberish (even if it's in the same exact level of nonsense).
No, as a Human, I can't accept this.
2) As a woman, I can't accept it either. We, women, are constantly demeaned in every religion I know. Religions claim we must be weak, submissive and obedient; claim that we're evil, because we're curious or vain (yeah, like men aren't!). There are tales where woman are handed like objects, like possessions. It's not fair. As a woman, I'm outraged (truly) other women can comply to something that's been demeaning us for millennia. And still tries! (I know some don't have a choice, I'm not talking about those.)
3) And finally, as scientist (or at least a rational being) I simply can't believe. Well, it hasn't been proven wrong and it hasn't been proven right. That's true, but you can't prove that some invisible, inaudible and intangible something is right behind you, still you don't believe it. So why believe in a supreme, omniscient and omnipotent (which is extremely contradictory, if you think about it), supernatural being who controls every minute of your life? When there are much more likely solutions? I could now explain all that Dawkins explained in his book, but I won't, if you want to know better, just read it. I strongly recommend it.
Also as a (future) scientist I can't surely be expected to support something that (mostly, not entirely) tries to obscure science and to push us into a new dark age, can I?
In conclusion, I'm making a stand because just saying you're not religious and walk on isn't enough. It is your world, and one day, it may turn on you. But that's up to you; I'm not trying to convert anyone. I just want to make a stand as I am a Proud, Happy, Moral and Ethic Atheist (this to contest all the usual arguments in favour of religion: it makes you feel happy, it gives you guidance to what is good or bad, etc).
PS: And before someone gives me the argument "you have to believe in something" I'll just say I do: I believe in Life; I believe in Evolution, I believe in Nature, I believe in Love, in Friendship, in Kindness. Ultimately, I believe in Science and even in Humanity. I don't need to believe in anything else. And you? What do you believe in?
Quote
"The only sin there is, is stupidity" - Oscar Wilde
Friday, February 8, 2008
Why I'm an atheist
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment